Pages

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Working 9-5, maybe?

The past few days have been slow. I've been holed up at a Holiday Park in Paihia.

Beach view from my campground

Beach view, deux




















I camped here last night and had plans to drive north today but I was sidetracked by minor logistics. Things like job searching and getting sorely needed work done on my car.
*fist shake that my wagon has 6" of clearance and I can't even change the oil *
I kinda, sorta, totally, immensely, unfathomably, miss my truck.
My baby.
 xoxoxo my sweet Armadillo.Thank you J Crew for looking after her while I'm gone!!
So, I decided to write a post with somewhat random thoughts and photos.

I'm trying to get a pic of the stars here. Trying.
If you don't like it, don't blame me. Blame my dwindling budget and the kiwi who sold me a car with 2 torn CV boots.
*fist shake that I test drove my car in a parking garage and couldn't hear the obvious clack of crappy CV boots*

Borrowing the immortal words of Monty Python-
"And now for something completey different".
A quick update:
I applied for a Jr Ranger job in the south island. I am very underqualified, but I went for it.
I applied for a job in Waitoma as a black water rafting, abseiling, glow worm cave, tour guide. They contacted me for more info and I hope to hear from them in a couple of days.
In the meantime, I backtracked to Russel today to interview for a temporary job at a winery. Pruning and weeding for their spring season. It's a 2 week job, and it pays! Which sounds redundant, but here there is a ton of unskilled temp work available, but only in exchange for accomodation. No money at all!
I think I got the job. They'll call me tomorrow if I'm selected for the 2 weeks of back breaking labor...fingers crossed!
I enquired around Paihia today for some, ANY temporary work. If I'm lucky, I may have a 4 hour shift next week pouring delicous beer for the discerning patron at a place called the Road Runner Tavern.

So, with time on my side I checked out Hurua falls just outside of Paihia.


                                      
                                                   Hurau falls

I call this one "Hurua Falls + 1"
After Wharangei Falls, Hurua falls was kinda anti-climatic. Still pretty though.
Hurua falls, again


There were birds everywhere on this ledge by the falls.
I think this one was their king.

So I drove all around today. Up to Kerikeri on my way north until I got sidetracked by incredibly nice strangers and a $95 oil change. SCORE.
Then back down to Russel for my vineyard interview. So, I decided it was a good day to grab a beer and fries and watch monday night football (at 1:30pm on Tuesday) then camp at the holiday park again because it has hot showers and a kitchen. Ungh!
Back at camp, I rented a kayak for an hour and had a blast.
It was my 3rd time in a kayak and my 1st time on the ocean with it. Although really I was in a harbour.

       



Beaching the kayak to give the old shoulder a break

I don't miss a singe opportunity to document my goofy face!

The wind was strong and the water kinda choppy, at least it seemed that way...
Then, I was back to camp. And enjoying the sunset.


                          But not before I put my kayak away and sipped a few Double Brown beers.

I call this one "kayaks at rest"

Now to sleep in my freezing car. Its a little colder tonight. Last night I slept on my air matress with 2 pairs of socks, a beanie wrapped around my feet, my sweats with pants over them, 2 long sleeved shirts, a regular shirt, a sweatshirt and my fluffy jacket on. I stuffed my running hoodie and thermal over me inside my bag. My rain jacket was wrapped around the outside of my bag and I put my sweater between my torso and my air matress. Then I completely zipped up my sleeping bag until there was not a single tiny gap (not even to breathe) and I was actually warm enough to sleep through the night.
I'm hoping for the same luck tonight.
 
                                                                                                                                                                            

6 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh Lo! Do you want to send you a blanket?!!!

    These photos are so gorgeous! Did you love kayaking? Sending good vibes your way for a job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I finally shelled out $5 at the warehouse and bought a fleece blanket to line my sleeping bag with. Only took me 10 days... But I'm warm now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The warehouse! Where everyone gets a bargain! Its a weird cold there right? It gets in your bones and wont quit. Even in our house in welly you could see your breath while watchin c4.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, the moon is freakin bright right? Have you seen the southern cross? Its weird to see different constellations than what we grew up with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the warehouse. Makes me feel like I'm in Walmart. It is a weird cold here. It's getting warmer. Thank god.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The moon is super bright, it was full a few nights ago and totally awesome. Totally weird to see different constellations. I love it. The southern cross was points out to me but I'm not sure I could find it again. I think I have an app for that

    ReplyDelete