Pages

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

But... I'm on vacation...

So I finally got some work here. Which is awesome. With my car problems and vacation expenses and the price of...well everything, I need the money.
So last night I had a 4 hour shift at the Roadrunner bar in Paihia. The owner Mike was extremely nice! Showed me the ropes and how to pour a decent beer and  make a double rum and coke.
I know what your thinking, cus I thought the same thing.
Surely, with my all my years of imbibing I would know these things already. That's what I thought too.
And don't call me Shirley.
Haha.
But there's a way to pour a beer at home and its definitely different from how you pour it from a tap. I had a great time. Thank god it was slow. With mostly locals, who were kind and patient and let me off the hook for the first few pours that were a bit foamy.
The locals even have their own handles (mugs). So they walk in say "32 Lion Red" and I grab their frosty mug, pour them a beer and try to understand their kiwi accent.
I kept thinking of England, and their laws against pouring a beer with too much head.

It was so slow, I got off my shift an hour early and took the car ferry over to Russel where I'm working for a week or two at a winery.
Vineyard at sunset

Not in the fun, pour some glasses of wine way. I'm pruning, weeding, thinning, taping and rubbing the vines. It's not super hard. But it's very repetitive and I'm REALLY sore. My back and legs are killing me. I crab/duck walk to a vine, then weed around it, then strip all but one vine. Get up off your ass and duck/crab walk to the next vine. I'm probably averaging about 2.5 plants a minute. Yeah, I'm killing it. Ungh! The three of us are doing 1,000 plants (give or take a hundred) each day.
The little house and the barn 

Plus it's almost summer and its good for the bikini bod.  I basically power squat or lunge a couple times a minute for 8 hours a day. When I need a break I scoot on my butt to the next plant.
I'm working for an Indian couple. They're very nice and I'm staying on the property while I work here.
There are 2 other ladies working with me. They're also really nice and we hang out in the barn after work. It's Sophia from Chile and Miriam from Germany.

The vineyard is beautiful and has a private beach a short drive from the main house.
For now I'm just making some money and doing work. I need the money...but...it would be really sweet to be back in Auckland for Halloween.
Plus, I'm on vacation...
So I may only be here a week, instead of the 2 I planned.
Tomorrow I'll have photos of this beautiful winery and and the great people I'm working with.
Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment