Pages

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Day Trip

So for a variety of reasons, I am stuck in Auckland for probably another week. I changed hostel rooms to an all girls room and it's SO better.

I was really hoping to be out exploring NZ by now, not stuck in Auckland which I don't really like. I decided I had to get out of the city and took the 30 minute ferry ride to Waiheke island. It was amazing. It looks as if Hawaii and California went halfsies on a baby.
Waiheke Island looking back towards Auckland
I hopped on a shuttle for $6 and and took a tour around some of the island. It is nothing but hills, vineyards, beaches and hiking trails. Some parts look like Sonoma county. Other areas reminded me that I really am in the South Pacific.
 



Onetangi Beach

Onetangi Beach



It drizzles here a few times a day and is sunny inbetween, the kiwi's call it 4 seasons in 1 day. You can see a little from my pictures what it's like. Some of these are taken 15 or 20 minutes apart. Layers, Ungh!

I had a great time walking the beaches and I already want to return when I have more time. There's just so much to explore there!




Shells on Oneroa Beach
Shells on Oneroa Beach
  

Oneroa Beach was beautiful and had piles of shells everywhere. It was gorgeous.

Oneroa Beach


I had fish and chips and a Speights beer for lunch. $22!!!!!!! And that was the bargain lunch special!
I can't believe how expensive everything is here. Hopefully prices will go down a bit when I get out of Auckland and further away from the city.

Oneroa Beach 15 minutes later in another "season"
After eating it was back on the ferry to Auckland where I checked into my new hostel room and met Juls and Christine two incredibly funny German girls. They nicknamed me grandma or "oma" for being so old.

We attempted to go salsa dancing with another roomie Jana, but found out it was only on weekends. So back to the hostel and to the Globe bar next door.
It's a backpacking bar, where all the 20 somethings from the hostel go. There are always free drink vouchers for girls so I usually drop in, have a free drink and leave really early before the debauchery gets in full swing.
Wet tshirt contests, giant twister and crazy european guys doing exteremely weird dance moves on the stage next to the stripper pole.

This gma's too old for that crazy business!

2 comments:

  1. My mother will be so thrilled to hear you moved to an all girls room. She was worried.

    ReplyDelete