Pages

Saturday, March 30, 2013

Skydive

I skydived for the first time at Skydive Abel Tasman.
http://www.skydive.co.nz/
Wow.
I had signed up for the 13,000ft jump but once I was there... I changed my mind and went for the 16,500ft jump.
It was me, 2 other jumpers, our 3 tandem masters and 2 camera guys (for the other jumpers).
We were crammed into a tiny plane.
The other people on my jump. They were fun. I'm practicing for my free fall.


At about 10k ft we put on O2 masks.
My tandem master was awesome! He talked me through each step and totally put me at ease. I wasn't nervous at all, just really excited!
From the plane I could see all of Abel Tasman, Farewell Spit and the Tasman Sea.
When it was time to jump we edged to the open door and I curled my legs out and under the plane as I got hurled out of the plane.
I got the free-fall butterfly tummy for about 2 seconds.
The rest of the time I was trying to take it all in and breathe.
No, seriously, it was really hard to breathe! So much air rushing at you when you're falling at 120 miles an hour.
It was really cold too. And because I still have a cold my ears were hurting a bit.
But who cares!??!
I was FLYING!

For an awesome 70 seconds, I was free falling.
Then the parachute was open and we did spins and loops till my legs hurt from the force of the harness cutting into them.
Then one last loop and turn and we were back on the ground.
It all happened so fast and it felt really surreal.
Abel Tasman park in the top left, Motueka town in the center

I wish I had been able to afford the video/photo package. I watched the videos of the people I jumped with and they looked amazing. Although the girl did hurl on the way down. Lucky for everyone she did it in a barf bag. Hahaha.

Such an amazing experience.
I spent the next 5 hours laughing and smiling.
2 hours later, driving to the west coast in my house. My cheeks hurt.

Now I just need to find a way to make some money and jump again....
3 hours later. What a weirdo!
Already scheming to have another jump

2 comments:

  1. OMG! How scary/exciting! That's awesome that you got to do this. You are a rock star Lo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Shan! It was so awesome. I even dreamed about it last night! Can't wait to go again!

    ReplyDelete