Pages

Saturday, March 16, 2013

Bungy!

It's my last day in Taupo.
And it's St Patricks Day.
Last weekend, as part of my staff party, I got to do the Bungy Swing at Taupo Bungy. http://www.taupobungy.co.nz/activities/water-touch-bungy
The staff were very nice and friendly.
And this weekend there was a special promotion for locals to do the full on Bungy jump for a third of the normal price.
It's a 154 foot fall into the Waikato river for a quick dunk.
There was no way I was gonna pass that up!
I didn't get any photos of me, so I swiped some from their website.
I got there early this morning, thinking it would be really crowded, but there was almost nobody there. Probably due to the fact that a storm is moving in. That, and lots of people were probably too busy drinking green beer.
Aerial view of the jumping platform and the river

I got harnessed up, got my ankles strapped in and strapped together.
Then I baby stepped my way to the edge of the platform.
I hesitated a little.
I'm not gonna lie.
The height was a little intimidating.
View of the cliffs and the river from the platform

But it was so much fun.
Just picture me instead,. But not as graceful, or cool, and I'm screaming

I gracefully, toppled over the edge and screamed the whole way down. I have a new theory. If you scream, you don't feel the butterflies as much when you're falling.
I will need to collect more data on this....

Stick figure theater presents: the Bungy jump

:O+<===============================================================

Aren't you glad I have some anonymous pictures to show, instead of just my artistic rendition?

I got dunked in the river, then bounced on the end of the line a bit.
I was screaming and laughing.

So much fun.
Afterwards, I went to my cafe to say goodbye and have a cup of coffee.
But when I got there, my boss bought me breakfast! Eggs Benny with hash browns. Nomnomnom.
So I spent my last morning in Taupo having brekky on the same exact patio I had brekky on my very first visit .
Full circle, man.
Who knew breakfast could be so deep?
Now I'm packing up my car and saying goodbye to all the awesome modern conveniences that come with living indoors.
I love you toiletkitchentelevisionwarmthcouchesfridgewashingmachineelectricityprivacy!
To get ready for a 6am wake up call so I can be on the whanganui river by 9.
It'll be 3 days on the river, just me and my kayak. And some rain. I'm really excited for this trip and for having the next month off to travel.

2 comments:

  1. okay love this post BUT a few things stood out 1)storm coming in? 2) you and yourself alone on the river for 3 days?!? 3) leaving town, does that mean you're moving on to travel and quit the bar and cafe and moved out? Holy smokes, post something soon so I know you're okay! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol Jal! Easy there, mama bear! I'm ok. There were other people on the river too. The storm wasn't bad at all. I quit my jobs and am headed south. I will be traveling for the next month or so.
    I'm looking forward to more exploring. Love and miss you so much!

    ReplyDelete