Pages

Monday, March 25, 2013

Goodbye North Island- it's South Island Time!

So long Wellington

Oh man!
I love the South Island!
I crossed the Cook Straight on the ferry and am so excited to be in a new part of  NZ.
On the inter-island ferry

I drove west across the top part of the north island. From Picton to a little town somehwhere between Takaka and Collingwood. I'm not sure where. I was so tired. I just kinda pulled into a holiday park in a daze.
My first night on South Island

And that's where I saw my first penguin!
There he was, just chilling. I think I blinded him while trying to take my photos. So I tried to get a pic without using my flash. Not that successful.
Penguin!!!! I'm so excited! Bucket list: check!

Cute little guy!

The next day I drove to Farewell Spit and spent the whole day hiking. The hike was great and had a little bit of everything.

View on the hike
 

I was the only one on the beach

Beach view from inside the cave


I don't know who this Cliff guy is....but he's got some great views....


The landscape was so varied, pastureland, cliffs, beach, mountainy scrubland.
Cape Farewell

The cliffs with farewell spit in the far background. I gotta little too much sun 

It's  one of my favorite places in NZ. I hiked to Farewell Cape, the northernmost part of South Island.
 

The dunes at Farewell spit

It's an Immense white sand beach

I'm all camped up and cozy now at another holiday park. This time in Collingwood. Tomorrow I hope to settle the logistics for my 3 day Abel Tasman park hike.
Camp time: cool clouds at sunset




2 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous you saw a penguin!

    You're kinda starting to look like a kiwi :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would say I'm starting to turn into one but I still can't understand half of what they say.
    So I think my Yankee-ness is safe, for now

    ReplyDelete