Pages

Sunday, April 7, 2013

Glaciers

On my recent travels I drove down the west coast of the South Island.
It's fall here and the weather is definitely getting colder. Perfect timing for my drivers side window to fall off its track. Haha. No worries. I have it jimmy rigged up until I can properly fix it.
I stopped at the pancake rocks in Punakaiki.
The blowhole at Punakaiki

Pancake rocks

And the weather help up really nicely for my visits to the Franz Joseph and Fox glaciers.
On my way to the Franz Joseph glacier

The glaciers were breathtaking. Both of them were in these dramatic, steep valleys. There were waterfalls everywhere. I had an amazing couple of days walking through the parks.
Waterfalls at Franz Joseph

Waterfalls at Franz Joseph 

I think I even touched the glacier! See, I found this chunk of ice down river from the Franz Joseph.
Touching a glacier!

I'm totally counting it as touching the glacier haha.

Fox Glacier

Lake on the way to Fox Glacier

The drive from the glaciers to the town of Wanaka was another beauty.
Lake Wanaka

Lake Hawea

I spent the evening in Wanaka.

I was trying to decide if I wanted to live in Wanaka or Queenstown for the next few months. Both towns are ski towns in winter. I decided to go for Queenstown. I'm ready for some social/night life.
Plus, I just love it here. It's been my favorite city/town in NZ.
So, I've started applying for jobs and hopefully once I'm done with my Milford backpacking trip, I'll be able to start working and find a place to live here.
I have so many more photos I'd like to post but the wifi stinks here. Oh well...

1 comment:

  1. Awesome pics lo! Those waterfalls looked amazing! I was cracking up this past weekend when I drove past Coddintown and that little fair was there (zipper and all) Had a good chuckle to myself thinking about you and the best beer run in this history of beer runs!

    ReplyDelete