Pages

Saturday, February 9, 2013

Why laziness pays off

With a whopping day and a half off work this week- I had big plans to do a 5 hour hike in Tongoriro National Park! (The second oldest national park in the world)
But I slept in both days....
So......option B.
My first day off was Waitangi Day, a NZ national holiday. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waitangi_Day
So I lazed around all morning then walked to town to enjoy the free celebration in the park.
Funking out to the free music

There were some arts and crafts stalls, food booths and the usual.
I had to share this photo. Dude standing up is the quintessential Kiwi. No shoes. Clothes and accessories mismatched from the 80's and 90's. Totally tattooed up. Gotta love it.

There was also live music at the amphitheater and I got to listen to the throwback band Ardijah. A funk/reggae band that used to be really popular a few decades ago.
Kids on the rope swings at riverfront park during the Waitangi Day festival

I walked around the festival and the park for a bit, then because it was a nice, hot sunny day, I grabbed a pint and walked home. My walk from home to town is mainly along the walkway along Lake Taupo. So I walk to work/town as much as possible. It gives me time to take in the amazing view.
My lakefront commute

The next day I planned to do a short 1.5 hour hike near town. But I couldn't find the trail head. Lol.
Instead, I found the trail head to a shorter hike that took me out to Whakamoenga point.
Looking at the point I was originally trying to hike haha. A wee bit off course on the way to the trailhead. 

Amazing.
No words. Only the NZ scenery can stop my yammering.
I got a nice sunburn lazing on the rocks and watched Mt Tongoriro smoke like a chimney from across the lake.

I had the place to myself. The water was so stunning I couldn't leave without going for a swim.
El
Drowned rat happiness

I spent a couple hours just hanging out and jumping off the rocks into the lake.

A lot of boats started to come and interrupt the tranquility of my swim hole and I had to work that evening.
Fishing boat. Me jealous.

 So I reluctantly left my newly found happy place. It so easy to get to, I'll be going back for more lazy, sunny days.
The Tongoriro Mts from my short hike. Mt Tongoriro has been smoking like crazy the past week.


No comments:

Post a Comment