Pages

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Hobbiton

In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit.

I had to go to Hobbiton while I was here in NZ.
I prepared myself for a lame tourist trap but I had a good time and thought it was totally worth the $75 admission fee.
The Shire viewed from the tavern

It was a 2 hour tour, with lots of interesting little facts about the movies and trivia about the shire scenes.
I got to Hobbiton by 5, after hiking Rainbow Mtn and driving north through Rotorua to Matamata.
The Shire

The shire

I took the second to last tour of the day which was nice. I was in a very small group and the sun was just starting to set.
More of the Shire


With the filming of the the Hobbit movie, the entire Shire had gotten a makeover and all the structures/hobbit holes were made into actual buildings, instead of the cardboard facades they had previously been. All the gardens are real and they use the veggies from the gardens.

 

 It was very cool to see Bilbo's and Sam's house.
Hobbits Holes

It's Lolo sized!

Hobbit Hole

 And see the party tree.

The Party Tree

The Tavern and Market from the Shire

Wheel house on the pond

I was also able to go inside the newly opened Green Dragon Tavern
Outside the Green Dragon

Inside the Green Dragon

 and have a half pint (very fitting haha) of beer.
Where the magic happens

Post sign outside the tavern


I'm so glad I went. And could include Hobbiton as part of my completed NZ bucket list.



4 comments:

  1. Your photos are so pretty. When you get home, will you show me how to use my camera? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lauren! But I love your photos! Teach me please?

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are some awesome pics Lo! This place looks so cool! I'm so happy you got to go, top five reasons it was def. worth the money - 1. to now be able to say you've been to the shire 2. to be able check it off your bucket list 3. to have your own bad ass pictures to show off 4. to be able to go back and watch the movies and know exactly what it looks and feels like to actually be there 5. hella of a coversation starter anytime anywhere (well maybe once you're back home, lol)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jal! You totally summed it up and said it better than I could!

    ReplyDelete