Pages

Saturday, December 22, 2012

Travelling to Taupo

So last I lefts ya....
I was leaving Devonport for newer locales.
I got to Raglan Saturday and stayed 4 days. I really liked the town, it was smallish with a very surf/local feel.
Now that's a black sand beach!

Apparently, I was swimming with friends...
Lazy beach day

Not for these guys! 2 dozen kite surfers where the river and ocean met. I WILL kite surf. 


I stayed at the holiday park and spent most of my time walking around on the beach, with the exception of one day when it rained most of the time.
Using my $5 fishing sunglasses to depolarize. 

You can drive on all the beaches here. I want my truck!

Raglan Beach

The park is situated on a little isthmus with the beach on one half and a river on the other. There's also a little airport next to it. Where I saw this guy takeoff.
I WILL do this. I will fly. 

I had a very chill time there, but my funds are running low and I need something constructive to do with my days. I'm too much trouble with all this free time...
Sunset on Raglan beach

I feel like I owe someone beautiful sunsets. I have a surplus. 

So I ran down to Waitomo Caves and handed out some resumes but unfortunately most people had finished hiring for the summer/peak season.
I was feeling some pressure to be gainfully employed. Like yesterday.
So I didn't sight-see, mosey, explore, or nothin'.
I took off like a girl on a mission. Drove into central north island and checked into the holiday park at Taupo. I passed through it on my way north from Queenstown. Taupo's a pretty large place, I figured I could find work here no problem. In fact, I was thinking of it as my safety, a huge town and centrally located for exploring. A place I could spend the next few months.
I walked around the town center and looked in all the windows for a help wanted sign. I saw 2. One for an "experienced barista" another for the Pita Pit. Basically a fast food joint. The Subway of pitas. Im not quite ready to work fast food. I'd hoped I closed that door 15 years ago.
Oh, and one clothing store, ugh, and they told me to bring in my résumé.
I have no retail, customer service, food service experience to speak of.
Oh, dejection!
I was feeling desperate! I almost applied for the university tech job in the carbon-dating lab in Hamilton... Noooooooooooooooooooo.............

I'm not gonna lie, that night I was worried about my ability to find work.
"This might be harder then I thought!" thinks me. After all, I'd been looking for a whopping 24 hours!
Next day I decided to stop being a naysayer, think positive and start pounding the pavement.
This time with feeling!
I walked around for a few hours in the morning and just asked half the bars/cafes/restaurants if they were hiring. Then when they asked me for a resume....I totally Kenobi'd them!
"These aren't the droids you're looking for"

I said "sure, I got a CV. But you don't need it because even though I have zero experience, it's only because my last job was so technical and specialized. So all you need to do is give me a try and see how awesomely mindblowingly great I do "x" job for you."
I started work at the Taste cafe the next day. I should be grabbing some shifts at the bar next door starting in January. Ungh!
I celebrated by walking along this gorgeous river

Huka Falls walkway


Jet boating! Sweeeeeeet

to the Huka falls.
Huka Falls


The next day after work, I walked along lake Taupo (trying to shed some lbs and enjoy the scenery to boot)
Lake Taupo

Today, I think I lined up a place to live for the next few months.
Shame on me for doubting. *wrist slap*
My wifi here is dark ages style, so pics tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment