Pages

Thursday, December 13, 2012

Sedentary Life

So it's been a while since I've blogged.
I've spent the last few weeks hanging out in Auckland and Devonport. Just chilling and socializing. It's been fun.
I celebrated Heidi at my favorite (pretty much the only) local pub in Devonport. It's called the Patriot, it's awesome, and I've spent entirely too much time and money there. I even got a Washington Apple in her honor. I had to take the ferry to Auckland and give the bartender directions but it was totally worth it. Can't break tradition.
An Irish car bomb for the Bisquit 

The day after my birthday I went back to Muriwai beach to go surfing. Once again I contended with big boy waves and got a good shit kicking from the ocean.
Messy waves at Muriwai


 But it was tons of fun and I really had a great time. I decided to go surfing as much as possible while based in Devonport.
My next surf safari took me to Piha.
Piha

The online surf report said 4-6ft swells.  Sounded perfect.
As I arrived an ambulance was leaving, with an injured surfer.
Apparently, I was interpreting the surf reports incorrectly. The waves were utter monsters. Piha beach is where a reality surf rescue tv show is filmed. That shoulda been my first clue....
Surf rescue zode at Piha


So....there was no way I was going surfing at Piha. Lucky for me, it was a gorgeous day and Piha is a beautiful beach, so I spent a couple hours walking along it.
Piha Beach


A few days later, I returned to Muriwai and to the perfect conditions. Big, rideable, rollers. Best conditions yet. I was able to catch wave after wave. I didn't have a single near drowning experience the entire time lol! No washing machine tumbles for me!
The rest of my time I've spent walking around and chilling.
I've gone to the corner bar in Auckland for their bomby "cocktail of the week".
I even tried these cool brews at the Occidental.

Ill be leaving Devonport in the next few days and heading south. It's time for me to find a job and see some new sights.

No comments:

Post a Comment