Pages

Monday, November 12, 2012

Veteran's Day

On Sunday, NZ observed Remembrance Day. I went with my friend to the Auckland museum which has a whole floor dedicated to the armed forces and NZ Wars. It was the floor I didn't have time to see on my first trip and very fitting for the day.



Auckland Museum

Because of the time difference, today was Canada's actual Remembrance Day, Veteran's Day for us.
My new friends finished work at 10am and we met at the pub at 11.
So at the 11th hour, on the 11th day of the 11th month. I was able to join them as they made their toast of remembrance.

Veteran's Day is a lot different when spent with actual veterans.

I've always respected and honored the men and women who have fought for our country. I've always believed that their sacrifices, in service to our country is beyond any compensation.


Auckland Museum

I felt privileged to hear their stories today and sip whiskey with them. Great guys who have lost friends, and time with family, and seen things you and I are lucky enough to have never experienced. Because we are fortunate enough to have people like them to volunteer in our place.
I spent today being very grateful for everything I have, all of which I am able to enjoy because they have been hard won by those in the armed forces.

So I took a lot of time today to appreciate that my family is safe and that I live in a prosperous and free country.  Monumental things, that I too often take for granted.
Happy Vetereran's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment