Pages

Saturday, November 3, 2012

Everywhere you go....

....there you are.
Or, another way to phrase it,
No matter where you travel, you always pack yourself.
Serious face? Nope
Just trying hard to be smarter then my camera. It always has me stumped.

I've had the most amazing month in New Zealand.
I'm literally counting down the time I have here....only 48 weeks left!
It's been an enlightening experience. First of all because it's my first time living abroad but also because I'm travelling by myself.

I came here with no plans. I knew where I was staying the first 2 nights... that's about it. Partly, because it's a little intimidating to try and plan a year of your life, in a place you've never been and have zero expectations about. So I left everything up in the air.
Cracking up kayaking while trying to take a pic.

I have to say that travelling solo is amazing. It can be hard at times. There are very few places I explore or see that I don't think of a friend, and how much fun they would have being here with me. Or how much I would like to have some conversation with them. Especially when the radio is nothing but static and I'm singing, badly!, to keep myself company.

Thank god I crack me up.
Getting silly at Cape Reinga


Because no one is goofier and dorkier than me. And dammit, I dig it.
Me and I have been on a few trips together, which is good. You definitely have to like hanging out with you, in order to travel alone. I'm not my tip top choice, but we pass the time just fine.
Solo in Yosemite.
I've mastered the goofy self portrait. 

I am completely out of my element here. Everywhere I go, I am lost and in unfamiliar territory. And everyone, everywhere, is a stranger. It's a feeling that constantly keeps you on your toes, and can be very disconcerting at first.
When I first arrived in Auckland I really disliked it. But after a few days I knew my way around and had made some friends. And look at that. I had a bit of swagger back in my step. Looks like I just needed some adjusting. A new outlook to the unkown.
My expereriences here don't necesserially fall within my comfort zone. I truly hope they don't for my entire trip.
Instead of the comfort that comes with routine and familiarity..I've traded it in for new friends, surprising encounters, days of being tired and thrilled, a fleeting amount of loneliness, amazing adventures and breathtaking views.
There have definitely been some bad moments, like when my wheel bearing went out the first day I drove out of Auckland. Nights that I froze in my car. Times where everyone, EVERYWHERE, spoke german. Don't ask.
This beach had dolphins. 

I don't know if it's just New Zealand. I don't know if I've just been lucky. I have no idea if it's because I'm travelling and ending up in places where like-minded, friendly people are apt to be...
But it's impossible to have a bad day here.
Am I tired? Here's a picture-perfect beach to sit on.
Me and myself. Party on the beach

 Done with driving? Gorgeous waterfall.
Running low on money? Chat up the bartender and grab a shift.
The overwhelming majority of people have been friendly and more than accomodating. Here it's so easy to be outgoing and put yourself out there because...you're never disappointed.
I'm so glad I went on this adventure with myself. Hi five, me! Ungh!
How's it going travel buddy?
Thumbs up? Alright!

5 comments:

  1. Oh Lolomite, you make me laugh and smile! I am so happy you're keeping this blog and sharing your travels, I feel like you're taking me on the adventure with you. Keep on blogging and posting pics so I can live vicariously through you and day dream I'm there too! (and for awesome entertainment value too) I'm so happy to hear you're settling in and feeling more comfortable traveling around! We miss you! Jal, Jake & Eli

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and sorry that I'm just now starting to comment, I didn't know your blog was up and running until Lauren mentioned it when she came over for VD/girls night last week....yep we're trying to rope in another one....sucker! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lo! I'm so happy that you and you are having a great time! I love reading your blog, it always brings a smile to my face. I tell everyone about it! I too am counting down the weeks until you come home, obviously not for the same reasons but because I miss you so much! I'm so happy that you get to have this experience and can't wait to hear all about it in person over some pints at Aussies when you get home. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL Jal!!
    Dammit I miss you! Hope all is going well. I think Lauren is more then happy to be suckered into VD.
    I'm just lucky I have a lifetime ban.
    Love and miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Shanny! I miss you and love you!
    I hope everything is going great!
    I really love doing my blog. It helps me feel connected to everyone back home. Thanks for reading it. I cant wait to have a pint at Ausies with you!

    ReplyDelete