Pages

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

I heart Queenstown

6 months ago (wow, that seems long) I came to Queenstown for 24 hours and KNEW.
I WOULD come back to live here.
So when I finally made it back it was a bit disheartening to find out that I had arrived in the shoulder season between summer and winter and that there were almost no jobs. Mostly....
Lucky for me I signed up with a temp agency and had some really good assignments at Skyline Restaurant. Along with some not so great housekeeping gigs. I also did housekeeping at a hostel for 3 weeks in exchange for a bed.
Living in the hostel, Bumbles, was a great experience. I met so many nice travelers and made some friends with other backpackers who will hopefully stay for the winter season.
Traveling is interesting, you can meet people and make friends but it can be so transient and fleeting. It's nice to hang out with the same people for more than a week.
I was willing to take any job possible. But I really wasn't excited for another 3 moths waitressing, making beds or scrubbing toilets.
That's why I'm so stoked that I was hired at Outdoor World! It's like the REI of NZ.
Inside my candy store....er, place of work....

I spend my day selling people shoes, clothes, camping acceeories etc that I love.
It's easy money.
The mountains outside my work

I have a 3 month contract, and if they like me, they'll sponsor me for another year to extend my visa.
Meanwhile, I also moved into a place. I'm renting a room from the receptionist at Bumbles.
It's the perfect place. My own room, a 10 minute walk from town, and once again I have a breathtaking view from the lounge and deck.
From my deck

The house looks over Queenstown and the lake.
Morning fog on the lake

It's freezing here by the way and its not even winter yet.
I can't wait for the snow to really be here. I'm so excited to be living in a resort town for the winter.
View from my deck

2 comments:

  1. Wow! What a great score both job and place to live! What an awesome way to start your day with that gorgeous view and a 10 minute walk to work and be in a place all day that doesn't actually feel like work!!! Sooooo awesome! So I know you'll be back in September for both wedddings but it sounds like you might head back to NZ after? Are you thinking about extending your stay if your job offers the sponser? Crazy how fast time flies bye!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jal! I'm really excited and I can't believe how great everything has fallen into place for me! I'm so excited to spend the winter here. Although I didn't bring any of my snow gear...
    Time seems to be going by fast now but I'm really happy to spend the last months of my trip in Queenstown. I can't get over how quickly I fell in love with this place.
    I don't know if I'll get sponsored and if I do I'm not sure what ill decide. It just depends on how the next 3 months go. I really miss home. But it's a nice option to have. I guess it's just up in the air for the moment.
    I'll definitely be back in September no matter what!

    ReplyDelete